SGS VS PCGS Grading
KLH
2004-09-03 01:54:46 UTC
Per this ebay seller the coin went from an SGS PR70CAM to a PCGS PR 64.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3927616795
PCameron
2004-09-03 02:48:13 UTC
Holy sh*t!
Mickey Lane
2004-12-10 11:22:35 UTC
I was going to ask about this 'service' but I see it's already been
addressed...

There's some 'coin dealer' (snort) on eBay offering all the cents from
the entire 1980s decade in MS70. One lot. Ninty nine cents to open.

Sheesh!
Randy Thompson
2004-12-10 16:17:25 UTC
That's probably what they are worth. The SGS label maker won't print
any numbers other than 70.
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-07 22:31:43 UTC
Bob Flaminio
2005-01-07 22:44:02 UTC
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
IGNORANCE IS BLISS (a common phrase) which means is equivalent to
"Don't Confuse me with the facts". Your "opinion" about SGS is
noted. However, your post shows that YOU ARE GROSSLY MISINFORMED AND
IGNORANT about SGS grading.
First of all -- FACT: SGS-graded coins are selling like hotcakes on
Ebay. (You are challenged to go verify this for yourself).
Selling, maybe. For example, consider this auction, closed for $12.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3949587039

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what a PCGS 70 of this coin would
sell for?

I'd make some further comments about SGS grading, but I don't want to
get sued again.
Bob
jerryjeff
2005-01-07 23:02:06 UTC
Post by Bob Flaminio
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
IGNORANCE IS BLISS (a common phrase) which means is equivalent to
"Don't Confuse me with the facts". Your "opinion" about SGS is
noted. However, your post shows that YOU ARE GROSSLY MISINFORMED AND
IGNORANT about SGS grading.
First of all -- FACT: SGS-graded coins are selling like hotcakes on
Ebay. (You are challenged to go verify this for yourself).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3949587039
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what a PCGS 70 of this coin would
sell for?
I'd make some further comments about SGS grading, but I don't want to
get sued again.
--
Bob
Please don't feed the troll.

JAM
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-07 23:24:22 UTC
Bob -- Here are the facts: The GW Commemorative PR69 (pcgs graded) sold for
only $8.52 #3949587039. The same coin (that you pointed out sold in PR70
for better than $12.99 #3949587039 (THIS IS A 50% IMPROVEMENT OVER pcgs).
So, do you agree or disagree that the SGS-graded coin sold at a HIGHER
value than the PCGS-graded one?
Bob Flaminio
2005-01-07 23:49:30 UTC
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
Bob -- Here are the facts: The GW Commemorative PR69 (pcgs graded)
sold for only $8.52 #3949587039. The same coin (that you pointed out
sold in PR70 for better than $12.99 #3949587039 (THIS IS A 50%
IMPROVEMENT OVER pcgs). So, do you agree or disagree that the
SGS-graded coin sold at a HIGHER value than the PCGS-graded one?
One slight error -- the link I posted was for an MS GW half, not a
proof. Compare a PCGS MS69 half with an SGS MS69 half and report back
what you find. Assuming you are posting with the best of intentions,
such a comparison should be enlightening for you.
Bob
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-08 00:01:58 UTC
Sure did the check. Found a range of prices for equivalents "D"
Washingtons. The NTC MS68 #3949744301 sold for $9.99. Another NTC MS69
sold for $29.99 #3949585537. An overpriced NTC MS69 #3948375269 FAILED TO
SELL at a starting bid $39 (and that seller probably lost $5 due to Ebay
listing fees).
Bob Flaminio
2005-01-08 00:21:14 UTC
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
Sure did the check. Found a range of prices for equivalents "D"
Washingtons. The NTC MS68 #3949744301 sold for $9.99. Another NTC
MS69 sold for $29.99 #3949585537. An overpriced NTC MS69 #3948375269
FAILED TO SELL at a starting bid $39 (and that seller probably lost
$5 due to Ebay listing fees).
Steve, now you're just being obtuse. No one is talking about NTC here;
indeed, it's telling that you would even want to compare SGS to NTC.

The 1982-D Washington Half is an interesting case because it did not
receive any particularly special handling after minting, unlike all
subsequent modern commems. Hence, it is exceedingly rare in higher
grades. Despite this fact, SGS seems to have discovered a plethora of
MS70 level coins, while PCGS, NGC, and ANACS combined have yet to
certify a single example at this level.

Furthermore, the price of these MS70s does not correlate at all with
previous coins sold in PCGS or NGC holders. (I cannot include ANACS
here, as there is only one ANACS MS69 in existence, and I own it, and it
is not for sale.)

Here are some prices for you:

SGS MS70 -- $12.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3949587039

NGC MS69 -- $256.76
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3948563743

PCGS MS69 -- $603.75
http://www.heritagecoins.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=352&Lot_No=4371

Notice anything incongruous about those prices?

If you really want to go on comparing SGS to bottom-feeders like NTC,
I'm not going to stop you. If you want to put your money where your
mouth is, tell me this: if I buy an SGS MS70 and submit it to ANACS for
a crossgrade, what grade should I expect back?
Bob
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-08 01:08:50 UTC
Bob: If you have a coin slabbed and graded by SGS and want to submit to
ANACS, I would first take it out of the SGS slab before submitting it to
ANACS (only because if ANACS saw the SGS slab, they would (most likely)
and predictably, downgrade the coin simply because it would have arrived
in an SGS slab. I have documented proof that PCGS does this as well. I
saw a case in mid 2004 (six months ago) with PCGS -- who downgraded the
coins (Franklins) that were previously graded PR70 by one service,
submitted to PCGS for re-grading, and PCGS downgraded the Franklins to
PR62. (Clear case of PCGS competitive bias).
Bob Flaminio
2005-01-08 02:24:26 UTC
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
Bob: If you have a coin slabbed and graded by SGS and want to submit
to ANACS, I would first take it out of the SGS slab before submitting
it to ANACS
OK, fine. If I buy a SGS MS70 1982-D Washington Half, crack it out, and
submit it to ANACS, what grade will it come back with?
Bob
DFloyd
Very impressive argument Bob.
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-07 23:01:17 UTC
That's nice. Seems like, when the GW's are graded, they tend to go up in
value. Especially, since the ungraded Proof and MS versions in the
original mint box only go for $4.24 each on Ebay. As proof, you can
verify this by reviewing Ebay #3949516873 and #3949517050. (Nice gifts
for the Pastor at my church).
linxlvr
2005-01-07 23:05:11 UTC
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41107&item=3948563743&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting
Post by Bob Flaminio
I'd make some further comments about SGS grading, but I don't want to
get sued again.
I agree. no comments here either.
DW
Randy Thompson
2005-01-07 23:10:41 UTC
StevesGiftShoppe <--------> SGS?
Coincidence?

It's always good to have another unbiased opinion.
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-08 00:04:51 UTC
Nope. SGS is an acronym for Star Grading Services.
Wolley Segap
2005-01-08 02:04:12 UTC
In article
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
Nope. SGS is an acronym for Star Grading Services.
It's hard to know what you're replying to if you don't quote some of the
original message. Kindly quote of it in the future so that we can follow
what you're talking about.
DFloyd
2005-01-08 00:50:03 UTC
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
IGNORANCE IS BLISS (a common phrase) which means is equivalent to
"Don't Confuse me with the facts". Your "opinion" about SGS is noted.
However, your post shows that YOU ARE GROSSLY MISINFORMED AND IGNORANT
about SGS grading.
First of all -- FACT: SGS-graded coins are selling like hotcakes on
Ebay. (You are challenged to go verify this for yourself).
Secondly, SGS-graded coins come with a guarantee. This means that if
there is a problem with the coin in the slab, you can send the item
back and they will send you a replacement. (NOW, CAN YOU SAY THAT
PCGS WILL DO THAT? -- and the answer is unequivocably "NO" AND PCGS
DOESN'T EVEN RETURN EMAIL INQUIRIES !).
ABOUT GRADING SERVICES: Coin grading services can't even agree among
themselves. The same goes for experience collectors - they too will
disagree among other collectors as to the grade of the coin.
Thirdly, PCGS is highly flawed and biased (especially against their
competiors, and PCGS IS UNETHICAL in the way they do business).
Personal experience: Try to get PCGS on the phone - good luck.
However, if you want to talk to SGS, you can easily talk to them by
calling Abon.com -- and they will be more than happy to talk to you!
So, before you go around (shooting your mouth off and showing off your
IGNORANCE) making GROSSLY MISINFORMED comments about SGS-graded
coins, be smart -- and verify the facts (which you obviously did not
do). Verify the facts -- it's the right thing to do.
Regarding the 99-cent listing: Ebay is an auction house and it gets
expensive to set a listing at higher values. Try posting a coin with
a starting value of $500 -- and the listing will cost you $30.
However, when you put a listing up at 99 cents, the listing only costs
30 cents. So, your "idiotic" remark that a 99 cent posting is only
worth 99 cents was just plain stupid -- -- an idiotic remark.
LASTLY - EBAY PROVIDES A MARVELOUS FORUM FOR THE COIN MARKET. Let's
look at the stock market -- where you will find a number of market
makers who will eat your $50,000 life savings as chump change. Ever
get nailed with a margin call? Guess what...it's no fun. Ever see a
stock rapidly fall? That's called market manipulation. In comparison,
in economics terms, Ebay provides an "efficient market" for buying and
selling coins. There are no market makers in the background that are
able to drag prices down.
I wouldn't take the word of any one person about anything.
The web is a wonderful research tool.
I'm also suspicious of anyone who is as rabid in their defense as you
are.

Questions.

Does SGS sell the coins they grade.
I'm assuming yes since Abon.com and
ebay seller aboncom sell these items.

What are your financial or personal
interests/relationships with SGS or aboncom?

You can say PCGS is unethical. What are your examples.
Seeing the Franklin example that started this thread graded as cameo was
enough for me to begin to form an opinion about SGS. That is not what I
would expect to see for a PF70CAM.
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-08 01:15:03 UTC
Answer to DFloyd:

We do not have financial ties to SGS (per your question). "SGS" is "Star
Grading Service (Ohio). You will find that Abon Cards and Coins, who sell
SGS-graded coins is a separate business than Star Grading as well. Steve's
Gift Shoppe is a buyer of SGS-graded coins, and we actively buy them from
Abon on Ebay. Check our feedback. PS: You should see the 1997 and 1999
PR70 Cameo silver Kennedys we picked up last month. Wow -- nice ones!
DFloyd
2005-01-08 01:36:42 UTC
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
We do not have financial ties to SGS (per your question). "SGS" is
"Star Grading Service (Ohio). You will find that Abon Cards and
Coins, who sell SGS-graded coins is a separate business than Star
Grading as well. Steve's Gift Shoppe is a buyer of SGS-graded coins,
You should see the 1997 and 1999 PR70 Cameo silver Kennedys we picked
up last month. Wow -- nice ones!
In your original post you say:
"...if you want to talk to SGS, you can easily talk to them by calling
Abon.com -- and they will be more than happy to talk to you!"

Unlike the Franklin example, the Kennedys on your web site do indeed
appear to be Cameo. Whether they are PR70 I would not be able to tell
without getting a close look.
Auctions
2005-01-08 01:21:07 UTC
A quick search of "MS70" aboncom's auctions revealed: 593 items

Another search for "MS69" revealed: 9 items
"MS68" - ZERO

hmmmmmm....

DFloyd
2005-01-08 01:39:51 UTC
Post by Auctions
A quick search of "MS70" aboncom's auctions revealed: 593 items
Another search for "MS69" revealed: 9 items
"MS68" - ZERO
hmmmmmm....
SGS only grades 69 or 70

http://www.stargrading.org/
"Services
Proof coins - 1950 & forward, MS coins 1930 and forwards
Only coins reaching grades of 69 or 70 will be slabbed.
All others will be simply returned"
Jorg Lueke
2005-01-08 02:53:15 UTC
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:31:43 -0500, StevesGiftShoppe
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
So, before you go around (shooting your mouth off and showing off your
IGNORANCE) making GROSSLY MISINFORMED comments about SGS-graded coins, be
smart -- and verify the facts (which you obviously did not do). Verify the
facts -- it's the right thing to do.
Regarding the 99-cent listing: Ebay is an auction house and it gets
expensive to set a listing at higher values. Try posting a coin with a
starting value of $500 -- and the listing will cost you $30.
However, when you put a listing up at 99 cents, the listing only costs 30
cents. So, your "idiotic" remark that a 99 cent posting is only worth 99
cents was just plain stupid -- -- an idiotic remark.
Are you ignrorant and grossly misinformed or simply unable to read? The
maximum price for a listing fee is $4.80 and a $499.99 starting price
would cost you $3.60. Your idiotic remark that a coin with a $500 value
would cost $30 is just plain stupid.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-08 05:36:02 UTC
Did you conveniently forget about the FINAL VALUE FEE?

Go look it up.
Jeff R.
2005-01-08 06:40:30 UTC
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
Did you conveniently forget about the FINAL VALUE FEE?
Go look it up.
On $499:

Insertion: $ 3.60
Final fee: ~$14.35
==================
total: $17.95

I don't get it.
(But then, I'm not the only one...)

--
Jeff R
(breaking New Years resolution #1, and feeding the troll)
Jorg Lueke
2005-01-08 15:59:11 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:36:02 -0500, StevesGiftShoppe
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
Did you conveniently forget about the FINAL VALUE FEE?
Go look it up.
You were comparing the cost of 0.99 listing with one for $500.
Not final value fees. Aren't the two items going to sell for the same
amount?
Obviously the total fee will be different if the edning price is different.

f course the profit marin on the $500 will also be higher.
If you want to compare apples and oranges knock yourself out.
Ira Stein
2005-01-08 16:04:53 UTC
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
So, before you go around (shooting your mouth off and showing off your
IGNORANCE) making GROSSLY MISINFORMED comments about SGS-graded coins, be
smart -- and verify the facts (which you obviously did not do). Verify the
facts -- it's the right thing to do.
Regarding the 99-cent listing: Ebay is an auction house and it gets
expensive to set a listing at higher values. Try posting a coin with a
starting value of $500 -- and the listing will cost you $30.
However, when you put a listing up at 99 cents, the listing only costs 30
cents. So, your "idiotic" remark that a 99 cent posting is only worth 99
cents was just plain stupid -- -- an idiotic remark.
Hmmmnn...Steve'sGiftShoppe...SGS ..same intials. The grading service is located
only a few miles from your "shoppe. Looks like yet another home-grown grading
service of questionable quality to me. Don't try to impress us here with your
drivel. Your grades on these, ahem, "gems" fail to make any knowlegeable
collector get excited.

Stupid is as stupid does."..Forrest Gump

Ira Stein
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-09 14:56:35 UTC
Ira Stein (A.K.A. MORON)
The last item I posted to Ebay (a week ago), with a $500 starting price
and a $650 reserve cost me $25 bucks (according to my last Ebay statement.
Secondly, YOU "IRA STEIN" (MORON), SGS is 2000 miles from our location, and
we are not affiliated with SGS in any manner, way, shape or form.
Ira Stein
2005-01-09 18:29:48 UTC
Warren writes:

<< Ira Stein (A.K.A. MORON)
The last item I posted to Ebay (a week ago), with a $500 starting price
and a $650 reserve cost me $25 bucks (according to my last Ebay statement.
Secondly, YOU "IRA STEIN" (MORON), SGS is 2000 miles from our location, and
we are not affiliated with SGS in any manner, way, shape or form.
I never called you names, Warren, but when small minds get flustered, this is
waht they they tend to do.

You have proven yourself to be an uniformed and duplicious seller, the kind we
really don't need on eBay (but unfortunately have much too many of). Have a
good life.

The Moron.

Ira Stein
JohnL
2005-01-09 18:22:14 UTC
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:56:35 -0500, "StevesGiftShoppe"
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
Ira Stein (A.K.A. MORON)
The last item I posted to Ebay (a week ago), with a $500 starting price
and a $650 reserve cost me $25 bucks (according to my last Ebay statement.
Secondly, YOU "IRA STEIN" (MORON), SGS is 2000 miles from our location, and
we are not affiliated with SGS in any manner, way, shape or form.
I know Ira; I don't know you. I trust Ira's opinion (and won't say
what little I think of yours). Who are you to come blasting into this
group and call one of its best members, a true expert, a moron? You
know how to win over the audience, don't you? (not!)

John L.
IIikecoins
2005-01-10 00:00:01 UTC
Steve .. Please don't feed the trolls. I know it's a hard thing to do but do
try. Tony
Steven Preston
2005-01-10 03:33:55 UTC
Post by IIikecoins
Steve .. Please don't feed the trolls. I know it's a
hard thing to do but do try. Tony
Having you post in support of someone whose chicanery is as transparent
as the plastic of those so called slabs he uses is equal to having
Hitler back one's political campaign.

-Steve' s Godwin Service (SGS)
Jorg Lueke
2005-01-10 04:33:59 UTC
Post by Steven Preston
-Steve' s Godwin Service (SGS)
Why doesn't Stalin work for this?
WinWinscenario
2005-01-10 18:04:44 UTC
So (S)teve's (G)ift (S)hop has posted countless messages in the past few days
telling us the (S)(G)(S) grading is better than PCGS?

Ira isn't the only, er, moron who immediately suspected a crass commercial
connection.

Regards,
Tom
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)
2005-01-10 19:44:20 UTC
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:33:59 -0600, "Jorg Lueke"
Post by Jorg Lueke
Post by Steven Preston
-Steve' s Godwin Service (SGS)
Why doesn't Stalin work for this?
Because he's not a nazi? Hitler/Nazi references tend to kill a
discussion very quickyl, because the person being called a Nazi at
once realizes the unreasonableness of the poster. The poster obviously
already considers targetted person to be unreasonable.

Stalin just doesn't seen to evoke the same disgust the Hitler does.
Dunno why, he slaughtered just as many.

Bruce
* *
*ANA R162074 *
*EAC3606 *
* *
*To email me, remember that RoadRunner and *
*Coyote do not mix. *
Alan Williams
2005-01-10 20:01:12 UTC
Post by Jorg Lueke
Post by Steven Preston
-Steve' s Godwin Service (SGS)
Why doesn't Stalin work for this?
Because he's not a nazi? Hitler/Nazi references tend to kill a
discussion very quickyl, because the person being called a Nazi at
once realizes the unreasonableness of the poster. The poster obviously
already considers targetted person to be unreasonable.
Stalin just doesn't seen to evoke the same disgust the Hitler does.
Dunno why, he slaughtered just as many.
Why, Uncle Joe was our *ally* ! (That always seems to do the trick. See
'Noriega' or 'Duvalier'.)

Alan
'he had irresistable purges'
K6AZ
2005-01-10 21:01:55 UTC
Post by Bruce H (BoxTurtle)
Because he's not a nazi? Hitler/Nazi references tend to kill a
discussion very quickyl, because the person being called a Nazi at
once realizes the unreasonableness of the poster. The poster obviously
already considers targetted person to be unreasonable.
Stalin just doesn't seen to evoke the same disgust the Hitler does.
Dunno why, he slaughtered just as many.
And the numbers they slaughtered are dwarfed by what the Japanese
did in China in 1937, which gets even less notoriety than Stalin.
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
p***@aol.com
2005-01-11 14:04:30 UTC
even worse is the 100 million or more killed off by mao.
p***@aol.com
2005-01-11 14:04:35 UTC
even worse is the 100 million or more killed off by mao.

Darren

Darren
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)
2005-01-11 01:55:01 UTC
Post by Jorg Lueke
Post by Steven Preston
-Steve' s Godwin Service (SGS)
Why doesn't Stalin work for this?
Because he's not a nazi? Hitler/Nazi references tend to kill a
discussion very quickyl, because the person being called a Nazi at
once realizes the unreasonableness of the poster. The poster obviously
already considers targetted person to be unreasonable.
Stalin just doesn't seen to evoke the same disgust the Hitler does.
Dunno why, he slaughtered just as many.
Godwins Law?
Thanks
Darren
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Bruce

* *
*ANA R162074 *
*EAC3606 *
* *
Steve Grant
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf-lovers/msg/84426456ad1724f2
Harold Cooke
2005-01-08 16:35:44 UTC
Sir, your coin grading scam is a total fraud. When you grade your own
coins, you have a financial incentive to overgrade. That was the
downfall of Accugrade selling their own coins under AHCOLLECTABLES
on ebay. Does it seem odd that PCGS has never been able to locate
coins in MS70 grade that you have multiples of? A deliberate attempt to
cheat the novice collector. You should be ashamed.
Harold Cooke
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-09 14:37:04 UTC
Does this mean, we aren't friends anymore?
Mr. ***@prodigy.com, you are a moron.

"SGS" is an acronym for Star Grading Service. We are not eve within 2000
miles of SGS. If you read the other posts, you would have seen this
knowledge posted by others. But, the moron you are...well, go read the
rest.
JohnL
2005-01-09 18:25:10 UTC
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:37:04 -0500, "StevesGiftShoppe"
Post by StevesGiftShoppe
Does this mean, we aren't friends anymore?
"SGS" is an acronym for Star Grading Service. We are not eve within 2000
miles of SGS. If you read the other posts, you would have seen this
knowledge posted by others. But, the moron you are...well, go read the
rest.
Again, who are you, a newcomer to this group, to come in here blasting
with both barrels and calling it's better members morons? Or are you
actually an oldtimer, one who's been chased out of here because of the
bad things you've done and said, resurrected with a new identity (like
a wolf in sheep's clothing)???

John L.
StevesGiftShoppe
2005-01-10 21:41:04 UTC
John:

The guy drew a conclusion on false assumptions and then cast a similarly
unlikeable opinion. So, opinion for opinion, fair enuf.